Photobucket Crafts and Collectibles: Mother & Child Sculpture

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Mother & Child Sculpture




Mother and Child Sculpture

~~~

This is an unusual piece of ART that we have had for many years. It's a metal sculpture, made of screws, nuts and bolts and other pieces of metal! It is a mother nursing her baby!

This is something we have always enjoyed having around as a one of a kind piece of work that I find quite creative and whimsical.

Best of all, it was created by someone my husband and I both knew. He was the father of one of my friends in school-and beyond-and my husband knew him well also. Charles worked for him, at his garage, for a while. His name was Hy Mizell.

This artist did not get into creating these pieces until his retirement (as far as I know) and my husband and I were surprised and thrilled to come across him and his ART set up in an art show in the mall near us. This was many years ago in Miami, Fl.
Of course we wanted to buy a piece-not only because we had known him for a long time but also because of the uniqueness of the sculptures!

This is one we both liked though he had other, more elaborate, pieces!

I remember one was of a mother, in childbirth, with a doctor and nurse and a newborn babe, just delivered!


:) Amazing!


Junie

4 Comments:

At 11:29 AM , Blogger Skye said...

That's very unusual, and very clever. I like it!

Thought you'd be interested to know, I've bought some gourd-painting supplies and am working on a gourd! Will let you know how (if!) it turns out! :)

 
At 10:36 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Skye!!!

Cool you're doing a gourd!

What do you have in mind to make?

Lol- no! Just surprise me!

Yes, I like that metal mama and baby!

Junie

 
At 5:10 PM , Blogger Skye said...

Well, it may have to end up being a vase, even though it's a bit too plump for that, since the design goes all the way up past the base of its neck! I've drawn on the design, and tomorrow I burn... I'm so nervous about that part, as I've never done wood-burning before, and I fear I'll mess it up after working so hard on the drawing part!

Wish me luck!

 
At 2:06 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Skye,

You have to expect the burning part to take a lot of time...but just pace yourself...break it up into a few sessions of work , if necessary.


I have made some gourds into vases-and left the neck opening small!

They look well with dried flowers in them!

Good luck, Skye! :) ...I'm excited to see how it turns out!

( I should be working on something too- but I'm not! :( )

Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home